A report on the BBC web-site states that plans to overhaul the private rental sector are being considered in Northern Ireland.
The key proposals are -
- A central scheme for tenants' deposits so that landlords cannot simply refuse to pay back deposits for "flimsy reasons"
- Government deposit guarantee for vulnerable people who cannot afford them
- An independent body to manage disputes between landlords and tenants and encourage compliance with their tenancy agreement
- New fitness standards implemented by 2015. Landlords penalised if they do not meet these standards
- Much greater awareness of the rights of tenants and the responsibilities of landlords
- Longer periods of notice to quit for long term tenants.