Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Credit Unions and Local Housing Allowance

As I have written about before, Credit Unions can provide a useful service to tenants who want their Local Housing Allowance payments to go direct to their landlords. Many tenants prefer this, as it prevents them spending the money by mistake and thereby making themselves vulnerable to being evicted. However under the new rules payment direct to landlords will only be done now in exceptional circumstances.

However some credit unions have a service where they arrange for a special bank account to be set up to receive the payment. They will then pay it over to the landlord. As the money is ring fenced and kept separate, there is no danger of it being swallowed up by the tenants overdraft, and their homes will be safe.

I am now compiling a list of credit unions who offer this service on my web-site which you can see here. If you know of any other credit unions which offer this can you please let me know.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.